Dad: Hey bud, did you get a new Brontosaurus?
Mom: Actually it is an apotosaurus because remember they changed the name.
Dad: It will always be a Brontosaurus just like Pluto will always be a planet.
Zachary: Dad, Pluto isn't a planet anymore it is a dwarf planet now.
Mom: Yeah, see Dad!
At least I'm the one who stays at home and teaches our child. Otherwise he'd get every answer wrong on his test.
Future conversation if we had a stay-at-home dad...
Teacher: Now Zachary where did you learn that this dinosaur is a Brontosaurus? I taught you that it is an Apotosaurus because it is more scientifically correct as it has been for years.
Zachary: My dad taught me when I was younger to always call it a Brontosaurus.
Teacher: I'm sorry your dad is mistaken and for that reason you got the question wrong on the test.
The same scenario would happen for Pluto. Zach learned about space at school recently and they got to put stickers on a black piece of paper to map out the solar system. His teacher said that all the kids wanted to put the Pluto sticker on too, but she didn't let them since it isn't being taught anymore. The stickers were new however. Not that anyone will appreiciate the rest of the story besides my father who is into space as well, but I figured I would share it anyways. On Zach's solar system he happened to switch Neptune and Uranus so they were laid in that order. Typically one would think that was incorrect, however as someone who has studied the solar system a lot in recent months I was reminded of what I had learned in school that once every so many years Neptune and Uranus will switch places where Neptune is actually closer to the sun. So, I congratulated Zach on still having a correct solar system even though most wouldn't know that it had the possibilty of being correct. It just depends on when you are looking at the alignment of the planets.
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Whoa, little miss space cadet! I know nothing about dinosaurs or space but glad y'all do. Well at least you and Zach :)
hey, just wanted to let you know i'm reading the blog. i don't want to burst your bubble, But the only two planets that cross paths are neptune and pluto. uranus' orbit is completely within neptunes. but so you know, jaeden will need to rely on you and zach for the newest dino info.
jess
Post a Comment